Custom Countdowns & MySpace Layouts

Custom Countdowns & MySpace Layouts

Monday, March 24, 2008

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I wish

It's 2:00 am Sunday morning & I can't sleep...this seems to happen to me a lot lately. I don't really think it's a sign of anything other than my brain turns on & I just can't shut it off again...Thoughts of biking, running & swimming just seem to invade my sleep & I can't seem to make them go away....

According to HelpGuide.org, there are 4 main categories you can work on to improve sleep. Some helpful tips are imbedded in each category:

BETTER DAYTIME HABITS:
  • No napping
  • Limit caffeine & alchohol
  • Don't smoke
  • Expose yourself to bright sunlight
  • Exercise early in the day
  • Check your iron
Ok, so I don't nap, drink alcohol (very much) or smoke...I exercise pretty much every available hour of every day (usually in bright sunlight) & I'm sure my iron is in the laundry room so I think I have great daytime habits...

BETTER SLEEP ENVIRONMENT:
  • Make sure your bed is large & comfy
  • Make your bed primarily a place for sleeping
  • Make your bedroom peaceful & comfortable
  • Hide your clock
Alright, I'm not really certain what to think about these points...I do have a very large & comfy bed which I use pretty much only for sleeping (and maybe reading) & it's so boring in there that it's certainly peaceful...maybe if I could combine my better daytime habits with my better sleep environment I'd get better sleep...more exercise in my large & comfy bed...hmmm...


BETTER PRE-SLEEP RITUALS:
  • Keep a regular schedule
  • Incorporate bedtime rituals
  • Relax for a while before going to bed
  • Don't eat a large, heavy meal before going to bed
  • Bedtime snack can help (especially milk, peanuts & turkey)
  • Jot down concerns & worries
  • Go to sleep when you're sleepy
  • Avoid "over-the-counter" sleep aids
Okay - I'm totally regular...all that exercising & veggies does the trick...I don't really have any bedtime rituals but I guess I could start. According to the Pagan Library, there are many to choose from...or About.com suggests aromatic oils combined with massage - that one could be fun:) I certainly don't eat heavy meals before going to bed & I eat more peanut butter in a day than anyone I know...


TIPS FOR GETTING BACK TO SLEEP:
  • Try visualization
  • Get out of bed if unable to sleep
  • Don't do anything stimulating
  • Get up & eat some turkey
  • Change your bedtime
So the visualization thing just wakes my brain up more - guess I'll have to work on better fantasies....I am out of bed & not really doing anything stimulating...turkey? You must be kidding me.

I don't know...I have all these things I can work so I guess I'll just go visualize about eating a turkey sandwich (but not too heavy of one) while I check on my iron, massage myself with aromatic oils & perform Brigit's Blue Ass of Inspiration Ritual...huh? I'm feeling tired already.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

and yet I can't seem to stay awake past 10pm...how odd

Anonymous said...

so true