Custom Countdowns & MySpace Layouts

Custom Countdowns & MySpace Layouts

Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Little Backstory

So, you're probably thinking, "This lady is totally off her rocker!" Tri newbie signs up for Ironman - what is she thinking? I know my family and friends secretly think it. There's probably even some who think I can't do it. Well, the bad news is that I probably am a little crazy. The good news is that, although new to triathlon, I'm not totally new to sports. I am a runner.

Since junior high, I have been an on-again, off-again runner. I started with cross-country but only stuck with it for a year. I thought the Galloway method of training was cool way before it was even invented. In the late 70's people were still running as fast & far as possible - way too intense for me. I would make up injuries so I wouldn't have to go out for that 5 mile run!

After cross-country I tried track. I ran the mile, which I liked a lot. However, at about the 5th meet, the coach decided, on the spot, that each of us should compete in another event of his choosing. He signed me up for the high jump. While I nervously stood in line to compete in an event I'd never even tried, I just knew that I'd hit the bar face on & hopelessly embarrass myself in front of the crowd. I said no way & walked off the field - never to return. For me, my running career was over for quite a while.

Fast forward ...we were living in Singapore at the time & I was somewhat overweight, pregnant with my fourth child & had braces on my teeth - hot! It was then & there that I decided that when those braces came off my soon to be perfect teeth, I'd be skinny (and maybe healthier too)! As soon as Grey (my 10 year old) was born, I was off. We were lucky enough to live less that a mile from the botanical gardens in one of the safest places in the world. Almost every night when I got off of work I would take a turn through the gardens. By the time we moved back to the States in 1998 I was easily running 5-6 miles 5+ times a week. Those braces came off right before we moved home & I was looked & felt better than I ever had before.

From that point on I tried to stay committed to running. However, over time, I would begin to lose my motivation & take extended breaks for months at a time. It never failed, though, the weight would inevitably start to creep back and I'd be out on the road again. I continued this way, quasi-managing my weight & health, until about 2004. It was right after the birth of my 5th child, when I hit upon the bright idea of signing up for a race.

Now, as previously referenced, I'm not one to go the easy route. At the time, I was lucky to be running 5-10 miles a week but decided that I'd sign up for a marathon. We were living in Minneapolis so I signed up for the 2005 Twin City Marathon. I had about 10 months before the race & I was committed. I searched around & joined the Lifetime Fitness Running Club & began to train with them. Through the the cold fall & winter, the unusually hot spring, battling mosquitoes all the way, on I trudged. It was easier because I knew that I'd be letting the group down if I didn't keep up my training. In May before the October marathon I ran my first race since high school - a half marathon. I ran a 2:10 so I was happy. I immediately followed that up with 3 more halfs & saw it as a badge of honor when I lost 2 toenails on my left foot - yuck!

Unfortunately, as sometimes happens, life got in the way. My husband got a new job in Louisville & the family moved about 2 months before the race. All 7 of us plus 2 dogs & 2 cats moved into temporary housing while we waited for our house to be finished. Although I had committed to keep training & go back for the race, that went quickly by the wayside. It was hot here (way hotter than MN) & hilly. The grade of my driveway here is bigger that the hills in Minneapolis. It was just too tough for me to make the change while trying to settle the kids & get the house finished at the same time. I was out of the race. It didn't take long for me to quit running altogether.

About 4 months went by & I fell into quite a funk. I didn't know anyone here, the house was finished so my biggest time consumer was gone & although I didn't want to admit it, I missed running - especially my running buddies. I started to nose around on the internet & joyous, I found a new group. The local Fleet Feet opens the store early on Saturdays & Sundays for runners to meet up before training runs. Right after Christmas 2005 I hooked up with the group that I still run with today. They had all just completed the 2005 Chicago Marathon (for some it was their first) & had great things to say about it so, of course, I had to sign up. Being the fantastic, supportive people that they are, they signed up too. We spent the year training. I got in a couple of halves & actually ran my first 5k & 10k in 2006 too. In October we ran Chicago. (I'll save that story for another day!)

After the race, in typical Debi fashion, I took another break from running but was back at it a couple of months later (surprise - the weight was creeping back). And guess what - I signed up for another marathon. I'm doing Marine Corps this October. As much as I resist it, I'm just the kind of person that needs a large, almost unattainable, goal to get my lazy ass out the door. I don't think that exercise of any sort will ever be my favorite past-time but it is the necessary evil that enables me to live & eat the way I want without becoming a fat, lazy slob. And if I'm completely honest, I miss it when I'm not doing it. I like the way it makes me feel & look, I like the camaraderie of the other runners & I love the sense of satisfaction I get from completing events that a few short years ago would have been impossible. (The look of awe on others people's faces doesn't hurt either!)

So here I am - almost ready for marathon #2 but this time I go into the race with the next big event already scheduled. This should be the required push I need to get me through that after-race lull & keep me heading out the door.

TODAY'S WORKOUT: 17.6 mile run - the weather is finally fantastic!

No comments: